Research Question: How can we help our environment?
Use of Data:
- We consult with Dalton Whitfield Solid Waste Authority on recycling and waste reduction practices.
- Greater Works – Students have donated crops to Greater Works Ministries to help feed less fortunate and looking to further enhance community contributions by maintaining a garden plot.
- J & J Industries – compost dehydrator
Civic Contributions to our Community:
- Donating student grown cabbages to Greater Works (National Bonnie Cabbage Contest)
- Educating students and staff at our school about benefits of composting/recycling and how to use the dehydrator
Integration of Core Curriculum with Research:
We integrate core curriculum in many ways. Reading a variety of non fiction texts, including books and news articles about recycling. Students research and write about their STEM project in various genres.
Students integrate their STEM work in math by collecting, analyzing, and recording data. They use this data to create graphs which then sparks discussion for next steps.
Our Little Stories Of Effect On Students’ Lives:
We have had a number of students report that they are researching and beginning compost/recycling at home. Students are becoming experts on what goes in “good compost” and discovering many ways it can be used. Our students are becoming environmentally aware of their choices and how those choices impact daily living.